October 22nd is National Pit Bull Awareness Day!
(Happy, Humane Society 2010)
This wonderful breed is unfortunately, an outcast. After doing several research papers and working at an animal shelter, I've learned the truth about these lovable dogs and I'd like to share them with you!
- They are VERY intelligent and easily motivated! (This is why they get a bad rep, owners train their dogs to be aggressive and the dogs stick to that training)
- They over-bred and under-wanted, and they are filling up shelters around the US.
- Even dogs that were in dog fighting, aren't human aggressive, just toward dogs. In fact in the dog fighting world, if a dog was aggressive toward his trainer, they would kill it.
- They are great with kids! This is also because of their tough exterior they can handle their tail getting stepped on, knocked over, etc.
- They DO NOT have locking jaws! If they did, they wouldn't be considered a dog since the bite is defined by the species.
- A Pit isn't for everyone though! If you've never had a dog, this may not be for you because they need lots of socialization and training as a puppy to become the amazing dog they are!
- Probably the only thing dangerous about them is the strength of a happy pit's tail when they see their owner. That whip can hurt! :)
If you want to see for yourself, take a drive to your local animal shelter! They would love to assist in stopping their bad reputation. You never know, you may find you're new best friend! :)
I also just wanted to share with you that the picture isn't from Google but I took that at my animal shelter last year. Happy was abandoned, tied up in the backyard with no food and water. & Look! He was still lovable and sweet toward all of the workers :)
For more information about Pit Bulls, try these non-profit websites!
Thanks for reading guys! See you tomorrow for Super Sunday! :)